Boletín semanal de ofertas de empleo publico
Institución:Collaborative Research Center AquaDiva
The Collaborative Research Center SFB 1076 "AquaDiva – Understanding the Links between Surface and Subsurface Biogeosphere" is funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). AquaDiva is an ambitious research center with more than 70 researchers and Institutes at four faculties of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU) and three non-university research institutes in Jena or Leipzig. The integrated Research Training Group AquaDiva is educating doctoral researchers in a structured, interdisciplinary training program. AquaDiva combines different research areas, such as ecology, microbiology, hydrogeology, soil science, geomorphology, geochemistry, geology, geophysics, chemistry, and information science, to a comprehensive picture of subsurface research (www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de).
The Integrated Research Training Group AquaDiva invites applications for a Doctoral Researcher Position (m/f; Ref. No. ufz11/2017) at the Bioavailability Group, Department of Environmental Microbiology, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ
Phages as Vectors and Indicators of Biological Information:
Subproject Phage Transport and Phage-Mycosphere Interactions
This subproject is part of a twin project, which aims to study the consequences of viral (phage) transport processes for virus-host interactions, bacterial communities, and functions in the subsurface. It will (i) quantify the effectiveness of marine phages as tracers for hydraulic flow at lab and field conditions, (ii) study the effects of phage transport on cross-infections of distant hosts, and (iii) elucidate effects of nutrient-rich fungal mycelia on prophage induction, phage propagation, and transport. The PhD student will perform lab and field experiments. Analyses will include pfu and physical phage enumeration, TEM, chemical microscopy, or dynamic light scattering.
· A Master's degree (or equivalent) in Natural, Life, or Environmental Sciences (e.g., environmental microbiology,
biotechnology, molecular biology, or related disciplines); candidates expected to earn their degree by
September 2017 are welcome to apply.
· Solid knowledge of microbial ecology; additional skills in bio-physics, virology, or field experiments are a plus.
· Excellent technical skills in microbiological methods, organizing and running lab experiments, standard
(molecular) biology tools, statistics.
· Enthusiasm to play an active role in the interdisciplinary research team of AquaDiva.
· Highly motivated and creative personalities, with an interest to shape their own thesis project.
· Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
· A doctoral researcher position (remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13, 65%) with
funding from Sep 1, 2017, until Jun 30, 2021, as well as generous research funding with the possibility of a threemonths
research stay abroad.
· Opportunity for research on an innovative and unique Critical Zone research platform.
· A comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors.
· A communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities and training
program, including participation in international and national conferences and workshops.
· The place of work is Leipzig, Germany, a big and lively city with a vibrant cultural scene, dynamic business
activities, and successful scientific centers of innovation, such as UFZ and iDiv, around the Leipzig University.
Información complementaria de la oferta:
The UFZ is an equal opportunity employer. Women are explicitly encouraged to apply to increase their share in
science. Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification and aptitude are given preferential consideration.
Applications should be written in English. The application deadline is July 23rd, 2017. The position is open until filled.
Applications are submitted exclusively via an online application tool: https://apply.jsmc.uni-jena.de
Selected applicants will be invited to a recruitment symposium in Jena, Germany, presumably in Aug/Sep, 2017.
For more information on the position, feel free to contact Dr. Lukas Y. Wick (email@example.com). For more information on the application process, please contact the coordinator, Dr. Maria Fabisch (maria.fabisch@uni-jena. de) or write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. More project details: http://www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de/Graduate+school/Open+positions-p-213.html.